Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Perfect Fit Box Tutorial

I've had lots of requests on "how I make my boxes". So I call these my "Perfect Fit" boxes because I make them so that the gift fits "perfectly". So, let's get "on with the show" shall we?

Supplies Needed:
  • Gift to be boxed
  • Scratch Paper and Pen (for writing your calculations down)
  • Cardstock (2 sheets 1 for bottom, 1 for top)
  • Ruler
  • Cutter
  • Score Blade (what I used)
  • Double Stick Tape
  • Scissors

For BOX BOTTOM:

Step 1: Measure your gift, you want Length, Width and Height. Write these down on your scratch paper.

  • Height: I usually add 1/2" to my original measurement, this gives a little room to add tissue or packing. So here it would be 1/2" + 1/2" = 1" for Height.

  • Length Measurement: is Length + Height + Height + 1/8" = Total Length to cut (my example would be 7 1/8" + 1" + 1" + 1/8" = 9 1/4")

  • Width Measurement: is Width + Height + Height + 1/8" = Total Length to cut (my example would be 5 1/2" + 1" + 1" + 1/8" = 7 5/8")

For BOX TOP I use the same measurements, only I add 1/8" to Width and Length.

  • Length: Length + Height + Height + 1/4" = Box Top
  • Width: Width + Height + Height + 1/4" = Box Top

Now that we have our measurements 9 1/4" and 7 5/8", I can cut out our box bottom.


Step 2: Score the Box

We're going to score the Height, for this example it's 1", I do this for all 4 sides of the cardstock.
Box Top, after you score, stamp or decorate now...
Step 3: Cut little slits where my score lines have met.

Step 4: Add double stick tape to the back of one of the tabs on each corner


Step 5: Fold Box Together

Step 6: Repeat for box top using box top measurements.

Here's our finished product, a PERFECT FIT!


I also have this tutorial as a .pdf file for printing (this means you'll need Adobe to read it). Here's the link: http://www.savefile.com/files/1873043
Happy Box Making!

No comments: