Thursday, February 12, 2009

Spanky, We're not in Indiana any more...

For those that know me IRL (in real life), know that "Spanky" is my Jack Russell Terrorist (see photo in avatar and is pretty much with me 24/7 (well, maybe not always to the grocery store)... anyway, we had high wind warnings last night, K and I actually saw the storm a brewing in the distance and it got here FAST! Just long enough to get the bags of feed from the truck to the barn and the donkey fed and then BLAM a wall of wind hit us...and threw some rain in it too... they always say it's calmest before the storm...they were right, it was beautiful and then not so much. So I wanted to post today's card last night, but the wind was playing hinky with the electricity, we lost it on and off constantly which was difficult to say the least for blurfing (blog-surfing), watching tv or anything...so we went amish for awhile (well, maybe not TOTALLY! LOL), but we gave up on anything that need continual electricity...so on with today's card...

The sketch is by Mojo Monday #73, I just rotated it. The inspiration for the card is from Cinema Saturday's Challenge #18, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon...I had never seen the movie and with such rave reviews on the challenge board, dropped the $5 (found it in the bargain bin) and watched it. Now I'm not a martial arts kind of gal and I remember when the movie first came out and all of their "flying" really fascinated me. It was an interesting martial arts movie, but it was also a love story, so that where I decided to draw some of my inspiration from...and the picture I found online. I loved the flower in her hair and the blue and reds in her outfit.

Admittedly, I have no asian themed stamps, so I had to make do with what I had. I decided roses right off the bat, both roses are actually from one single silk flower I took apart (actually I had 5 roses when I was done with the flower)...I then added a punched star (see close up photo for details) for the green bottom of the rose and then added the "ferns" behind them. The sentiment is cut out of Nestabilities Label 1 and then I cut out a frame with the same dies and gave it a little dimension with pop dots as well as putting the blue ribbon through it and popping that off the card as well...that was a little harder to do because my glue dot wasn't cooperating and I had to put a brad underneath the rose to hold the paper in place...it worked though. Recipe below...enjoy!



Recipe:
  • Stamp: CTMH Sentiment
  • Paper: K & Company
  • Die/Punches: Nestabilities Labels 1, Martha Stewart Butterfly, Fern Unknown, EK Success Star
  • Other: Flowers, Ribbon, Rhinestones, Pop Dots




8 comments:

Laura Pryor said...

YOU ARE A RIOT!!! I am howling laughing when you said you "went Amish" for a little while! BWahaahahahah! Anywhoo, this is a beautiful card. Spanky is
a-freakin-dorable!!! I love doggies, well all animals. I want a donkey!!! Although you might say I already have one if you knew my husband!! He's a good donkey though!!!

Michelle Quinno said...

LOL, we went Amish during the power outage. I didn't like it too much.

Glad Spanky didn't fly away!!

Your card is gorgeous!

Jacquel said...

Wow! love your card, the colors and the gorgeous flower....excellent work and tfs!!!

Gingerbread Gal♥ said...

Lovely! I love this card! So elegant and all the details are incredible! Great job! So pretty!
:) Rachel

p.s. Spanky is too cute!

Ophthalmologist said...

Ohhh, such a beatiful card! I love the sentiment and how you arranged the rose!

Anjou Krelovich said...

What an absolutely gorgeous card. I love everything about it. Glad you got your electric back!

Brooke S said...

Absoutly Beautiful... I love the paper scroll you created.. The attention to detail. :) What a great Sentiment.... LOVE IT!
Hugs
Brooke

Sankari W. said...

This is just beautiful! Paula you are so creative - i love that inspiration picture that you used for your card and what a great trickw itht he brad to hold up the rose!!! YOur card is just gorgeous and I love the sentiment that you used! Your cards are all just beautiful and it was so much fun to visit your lovely blog!!! Thank you so much for playing along in the weekly Cinema Saturday Challenges!!
Best wishes,
Sankari